So, I'm not entirely sure this is working.
My mixture smells like alcohol, and I think that is probably a good sign.
But it's thin, and it's not bubbling anymore, although it still separates.
Maybe this is what the blogger on King Arthur meant when she said "Frankly, I tried to make my own from scratch, and it simply wasn’t a happy experience."
I'd post a picture, I really would, but it looks kinda gross. I'll spare you.
BUT--I have to put a plug in for King Arthur Flour here. They have a live chat service on their website, and you can ask them anything you want! So I chatted.
Apparently, I didn't know what I was doing. (We all knew that...that's kind of what this blog is all about!)
Joan D. told me to discard all but 1/2 cup of the starter and feed it. She said to feed it every day while it's being established. She also said that after it sits for a couple of hours, to go ahead and refrigerate it. So, that's what I'm doing. It's not following the recipe I posted last time, but that obviously wasn't working out so well...so I'm good with trying something new.