Saturday, March 20, 2010

Provencal Popcorn


I grew up in a popcorn-eating family. We ate popcorn often, and my dad was the best at making it. Lots of butter, lots of salt...yum. Butter really does make everything taste better.


Whenever we are at my parents' house, we can pretty much bet on having popcorn, and we still always eat it out of huge metal bowls. I'm sure they serve some culinary purpose, but we always just used them for making and eating popcorn. See, they're large enough that you can really stir the popcorn easily without worrying about it spilling all over the counter.

Naturally, I am still a popcorn fan. It took some work converting Jeff, who hates having the kernels stuck in his teeth, but I got him. (The trick was caramel corn...it was downhill from there.)

One of our favorite ways to eat popcorn is what I call Provencal Popcorn. Now, I'm sure that nobody in Provence actually eats popcorn this way, but it channels some of the flavors of the region, specifically the herbs. So when we want popcorn fast, this is usually how we make it.

Provencal Popcorn

6-7 cups popped corn
1/2 cup butter (or more, if you're not worried about the calories)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon Provencal herbs (or any herbs you have/like)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Toss it all together and devour. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment