Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Roasted Potato Leek Soup

I discovered leeks about 2 years ago. I had never cooked with them before, but found an Asian-style recipe that included them and I always try to do a recipe correctly at least the first go-around. Well...most of the time, anyway...

See, my mom does not like leeks. So I never had them growing up. When I tried them, though, I knew we would be life-long friends. And we have been. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive. I know you can use the green stalks, but I never do so they go in the garbage, which makes leeks quite expensive. I know, I know...I need to be better.

But, still. They are delicious. I found this soup a couple of years ago, shortly after my leek discovery, and it has been my go-to soup recipe. A few friends of ours always host a soup night birthday celebration, and this is what I take. It's always a hit.

Except with my mom. Who said it was only edible. If I served it ever again, she would eat it, but she would never request and she would likely save lots of room for dessert.

If you love leeks, try it. If you've never had leeks, try it. And if you don't like leeks, well, I'm sorry for you. You should try it anyway. They add an important flavor component, but do not overwhelm the soup, which is possibly why my mom said it was edible.

My sister and I are still recovering from her apathy.

This is gluten-free, which is why my mom could eat it, and could be vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken stock.

Potato Leek Soup
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics by Ina Garten.
Printable Recipe

2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
3 medium to large leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped into 1 inch pieces
olive oil
salt and pepper
3 cups baby arugula
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup cream
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus extra for garnish

Toss potatoes and leeks on a sheet pan with olive oil and salt and pepper (to taste). Roast at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes, until potatoes are starting to brown and are soft. Stir with a spatula every 10-15 minutes to prevent the leeks from becoming too crispy. Add the arugula and roast for another 5-6 minutes, until the arugula is wilted.

Remove pan from oven and put on two stove burners. Add one cup of stock and heat over medium heat. Stir up the bits from the pan.

In batches, remove the potatoes and leeks to a food processor and add enough stock to make a puree. Put the puree in a stock pan. Add enough stock to make a thick soup, then add the cream, sour cream, about 2 teaspoons salt (to taste) and 1 teaspoon pepper (again, to taste). Heat until it's warm, stirring regularly. It will stick to the bottom of the pan, and stirring regularly will keep your trusty dishwasher happy. Right before serving, stir in the parmesan and garnish with extra parmesan if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that I could post in the future! Love LOVE the sound of this soup. I love all vegetables roasted. I love soup. You are inspired, I tell 'ya. Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to try it. =)

    ReplyDelete