Saturday, March 27, 2010

Julie's Morning Glory Muffins

In December, before I had my baby, I made a big batch of Morning Glory Muffins. I got the recipe from my good friend, Julie, because she makes them all the time and I love them. It proved to be a very wise choice: I froze them and they became the perfect go-to breakfast while I figured out how to be a mom. It worked so well, I made more about a month after she was born.

Julie got the original recipe from allrecipes.com, her go-to reference. But I really like the changes she made, and it's even healthier than the original recipe, which is good. Not many muffins are actually good for you. But Julie toned down the sugar and with all the fruits and nuts, they are nutritious in my opinion. I mean, c'mon. You can see all the goodness in there: carrots, bits of apples, craisins...yum.


Julie's Morning Glory Muffins
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
Printable Recipe

6 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup applesauce
4 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups sugar
4 tsp baking soda
4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups shredded carrots
1 cup craisins
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
2 apples, peeled, cored, and shredded

Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Add everything else, and mix well. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Note: this barely fits in a 5 qt. Kitchenaid stand mixer. Julie doubled the original recipe (because they freeze so well!) so feel free to half it. It makes 24 muffins and 8 mini loafs.

1 comment:

  1. I've made something similar before with carrots and apples and I just love the combination! I added nuts and raisins to mine and those muffins were the perfect protable breakfast.

    ReplyDelete