Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chicken Spiedies

My good friend turned me onto the My Kitchen Cafe blog. Her recipes seem to be right in line with how I cook, so I was really pleased to discover it. I've already made a couple of dishes from her site and they have been good.

Tonight, I made Chicken Spiedies. The same friend that told me about the blog also raved about these sandwiches. When I saw the picture, I thought they looked okay, but nothing to write home about.


Well, I repent. They absolutely were delicious! The marinade and sauce really pack a punch, and, while they don't look substantial, the sandwich really came together. Plus, it was so fast! I made some changes based on what I had, and I would make just one other change: add a slice of cheese. I think it would be even better with a slice of provolone cheese melting on top of the chicken.

The chicken is gluten free, so if you are Celiac, you can try it with gluten free bread, or just eat the chicken pieces by themselves; that's where all the flavor is.

Chicken Spiedies
Adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

1/3 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 chicken breasts
rolls
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Combine olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes in a bowl and whisk together. Remove 2 tablespoons to another bowl and reserve the rest. To the 2 tablespoons, add the mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Whisk together and refrigerate.

Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes and put in the bowl the olive oil mixture. Stir to coat chicken and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.

Broil the chicken pieces until done, about 10-15 minutes depending on size of chicken pieces. Remove and cover with foil to keep warm. Slice the rolls and put parmesan cheese on each half. Broil until the edges are toast and cheese is melted. Top the rolls with the chicken and drizzle with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment