Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blackberry Swirl Ice Cream

I had forgotten how truly amazing homemade ice cream is.

Last summer, I took a bit of a sabbatical from the kitchen...I was pregnant and exhausted. The last thing on my mind was making ice cream! Although, I probably would have loved eating it, I didn't need the extra weight.

But, I got a new ice cream maker for Christmas, and I have been itching to try it out. I finally had the energy, and it's been warm enough to justify it, and I didn't need any more justifications than that. I mean, it's ice cream, people!
I planned on experimenting and making Samoa ice cream in honor of the much-loved girl scout cookies. That will definitely show up here as soon as I do it; believe me, I can't wait to try it! But then, blackberries were on sale. Glorious blackberries, for only $2 for 18 ounces. Yes, you read that correctly. See, I had to do something with the blackberries! Don't worry, there are more in my refrigerator; they will probably make another appearance here.

I dug out my Perfect Scoop book and found a recipe for blackberries...Blackberry Swirl Ice Cream. It was divine. The perfect balance of tart and sweet, offset by the creaminess of the custard-based ice cream.

Blackberry Swirl Ice Cream
Adapted from David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop
Printable Recipe

Ice Cream
1 cup milk
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups cream
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla

Blackberry Swirl
1 1/2 cups blackberries
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon basalmic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Warm milk, sugar, and salt over medium heat. While it is warming, put the cream in a large bowl, set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl, and set it in an ice bath. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they are smooth.

When the milk is warm (not boiling!) slowly pour into the yolks while whisking vigorously. Pour the yolk-milk mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and coats a spoon. It will smell like a custard and you'll be able to feel it getting thick. Do NOT let it boil.

Remove from the heat and immediately pour it through the strainer into the cream. Stir to mix it in and then add the vanilla. Refrigerate until well-chilled, overnight if possible.

At least an hour before you churn the ice cream, make the swirl by smashing the blackberries with the sugar, vinegar, and lemon juice. Chill until you are ready to use.

Freeze the ice cream according to the instructions. When it is done, layer the ice cream with the swirl in the container.

No comments:

Post a Comment