Saturday, April 3, 2010

Porcupine Meatballs

I know I said I cook everything from scratch...and that's (mostly) true. But, I haven't figured out how to replace the tomato soup in this recipe, and I don't know if I really want to. See, this is a recipe from my mom, and I love it. It was something she made a lot when I was growing up and it was one of my favorite meals. I remember fighting over the meatballs with my siblings, and I remember thinking we left some in the bowl beneath all the deliciously thick sauce for my dad, who often worked late, only to find out there wasn't anything actually there...So, it's sentimental, as well as delicious. Now that I'm grown, I add more chili powder and often add chili powder to the meatballs. And I like the kick of adding red pepper flakes. If you don't, leave them out.

As a side note, does anyone know how to replace tomato soup in recipes? I'd love to know.
Porcupine Meatballs
Printable Recipe

1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup white rice
1/4 cup chopped onion (or 1 tablespoon onion powder if you are making it for picky kids like my mom did)
1/4 cup water
1 can tomato soup
1 soup can of water
1 can tomato sauce
1 sauce can of water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

Mix ground beef, rice, onion, and 1/4 cup water, and form into meatballs. Brown in a deep frying pan. Combine soup, sauce, cans of water, chili powder, and red pepper flakes (if using). When the meatballs are brown, add the sauce. Simmer for about an hour, until the rice is cooked and the sauce thickened. I usually simmer it for about 35 minutes covered, and then take the lid off to thicken it.

No comments:

Post a Comment