Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip

Wondering what to do with the rest of that frozen spinach from the stuffed pasta shells earlier this week? I always wonder. How many recipes call for more than a half a box of frozen spinach? And, you have to thaw it to take out half and the box specifically says not to refreeze. Argh! I never know what to do with the other half and it usually goes in the garbage two weeks later, after I have forgotten about it. I hate wasting food.

Well, you can wonder no longer! Make spinach artichoke dip! Hot and bubbly, not to mention fattening...you can't get much better than that. Unless you could...I found a recipe on Tasty Kitchen for a low-fat version of this cheesy mess, and it worked out really well. I had to fudge it a little, because my can of artichokes was in fact a small jar, and my half-box of spinach was only 5 ounces, but it worked out great just the same. I'm sure it would be great if you followed the original recipe and used as much spinach and artichokes as the recipe said.

Now, I have a confession to make.


We ate this for dinner last night.

I know. It's way naughty. But sometimes, you need a junk food meal. And my excuse is that this has spinach in it, which is totally healthy! Plus, the recipe I used was a "lower-fat" version, which makes it okay, right? Right? *taps microphone* Right?

I don't recommend you make this for dinner. But I do recommend that you make it and enjoy it! Especially if you can share it with more than just your husband, unlike me.

Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
Adapted from Noshings on Tasty Kitchen
Printable Recipe


5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, strain the water out of it by squeezing it over the sink.
8 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese
1 cup sour cream, low fat is fine
1 cup Monterey jack cheese
4 cloves garlic, minced
7 ½ ounces artichoke hearts, chopped
Pinch of black pepper, freshly ground if possible
Pinch of kosher salt
½ cup mozzarella cheese
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan (use less if you use Kraft)

Combine spinach, cream cheese, sour cream, jack cheese, garlic, artichoke hearts, pepper, and salt in a bowl and stir well. Grease a glass baking dish. I used a glass pie dish, but an 8x8 would work as well. Spread the mixture in the baking dish and sprinkle with the mozzarella and parmesan. It can be refrigerated at this point if you are making ahead (just cover it).

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, until the middle is hot and the edges bubble. If you refrigerated it, it may take longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment