Monday, April 26, 2010

Chicken With Asparagus and Roasted Red Peppers Over Rice

Asparagus has got to be one of my favorite vegetables. But, it's generally pretty expensive, so I don't get to buy it very often. But when it goes on sale...I love it.

I don't have a lot of recipes that call for asparagus because, as mentioned, I don't buy it very often. But this is one I love. I found it in an American Heart Association cookbook, one written for low cholesterol diets. No, I'm not concerned about my cholesterol...but it always pays to eat healthy food at least sometimes! I enjoy the American Heart Association cookbooks. I first discovered them at the library in Los Angeles where I used to live. They have great recipes, some designed as healthy alternatives, and others designed just as tasty, healthy food. My only complaint: they don't have pictures. I have a hard time visualizing things without pictures.

This one, though, was easy to visualize. Who hasn't had chicken ala king before? That's basically what this is, only better. And healthier. Yum!

Chicken With Asparagus and Roasted Red Peppers Over Rice
Adapted from American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook (4th edition)
Printable Recipe


1 1/2 cups asparagus cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1/2 pound)

2 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium if possible
1 teaspoon Provencal herbs (or thyme or tarragon)
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of black pepper
1 1/2 cups fat free evaporated milk (or regular skim milk--evaporated milk makes the sauce yellowish-orange)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 red pepper, roasted, peeled, and sliced into 2 inch pieces
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
cooked rice, about 2/3-3/4 cup cooked rice per person

In a large skillet, stir together the broth, asparagus, herbs, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the milk and cornstarch. Stir into the broth. Cook for about 10 minutes, until it has thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken and roasted pepper. Continue cooking just until the chicken and pepper are heated through. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment