Friday, August 13, 2010

Raspberry Almond Bars


I have a neighbor who does not bake. She used to, but has no desire anymore. She just doesn't enjoy the work. And although she loves baked goods, she and her husband get along just fine without her baking.

But this is mostly because she has me and another neighbor, who have made it a habit to share whenever we bake.

It works out great, actually. I love baking (mostly the eating part, I'll grant you) but it's just me and Jeff right now, and while I might enjoy eating an entire cake or batch of cookies, it's probably not wise. So I share. They get to enjoy a treat and I don't get (horribly) overweight.

The other day, I dropped some raspberry almond bars off at her house and called to let her know they were there. I didn't tell her what they were, just that I had left her a treat. The next time I saw her, she was just about speechless, which is a rarity for this friend. She asked what they were, and just had no words to describe how much she had enjoyed them.


And the thing is, they were just about as easy as you could ask for. Ten minutes to put it together, and then time to bake. So simple.

I don't think she'll be baking them anytime soon, but I know I'll be making them again!



Raspberry Almond Bars
Adapted from Une Gamine dans la Cuisine
Printable Recipe

3 cups flour
1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cups raspberries, washed and patted dry

Preheat oven to 375 and line a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with foil. Grease or spray the foil.

Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter until it is a course crumble. Stir in the eggs, extract, and almonds. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Reserve 1/3 of the mixture for the topping.

In a separate bowl, combine the raspberries with the 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir gently, then spread over the crust. Sprinkle with the remaining topping.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the topping has a nice golden brown color.

No comments:

Post a Comment